Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Thursday

For those of you that don't know what Thanksgiving Thursday is, it is the one time during the week where you stop and basically count your blessings. Even if you've had one of those weeks, I promise you can find at least one thing to be thankful for, no matter how big or small.

This week I am thankful for:
  • Scott getting me a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks as a reward for sitting in a room while a doctor drained my cyst (and also drew me a diagram, more on that later).
  • The look on Aaron's face when he saw his train for the first time.
  • The sweet sound of Aaron saying "All aboard!" as the train passes, granted it sounds more like "All da-board", still cute.
  • Jill's love of The Sound of Music, which is one of my favorite movies. Her favorite song by far is The Lonely Goatherd, mine is Edelweiss.
  • Time spent coloring with Jill. She's crazy creative. She hates bugs right now so she "draws" them on the paper and then smashes them. Kind of morbid, but kind of cute, no?
  • The beautiful weather we've been having lately. It's nice to be able to be outside for more than 15 minutes without pouring sweat.
  • Great family all around us!
  • Great friends that are coming for dinner this weekend!
  • A great date with Scott at Food and Wine this past weekend! Can't wait to do it again with the Billings in a few weeks!
What are you thankful for?


So back to this diagram thing, let me tell you about my experience yesterday. I have a sebaceous cyst on the crown of my head, I was under the impression that I had it removed back in July. I mean why else was she pulling and tugging on the top of my head? Apparently all of it didn't come out and it got infected. So I've been on some hardcore antibiotics since last Thursday. I mean hardcore too, you can't really stay in the sun, can't eat dairy until 2hours after you take it, no exercise because you may tear a tendon (yeah, this is FDA approved). So I go in yesterday to have it removed and I'm scared out of my mind for 2 reasons 1)the blood and 2) possible hair loss on the crown of my head. I am not from the South therefore I cannot "jack my hair to Jesus" to cover it. Scott and I get to the office and proceed to wait for an hour...one hour after my appointment was to start. The whole waiting room, and hallway, was packed with people.

Finally, I got called back and the doctor said he wasn't going to remove it because it was still infected and we'd probably have to do it again if he did it or some crazy thing like that. I think I was delirious at this point. So he said he was going to lance it open, insert my immediate panic here, and just let it drain. He numbs the area and then cuts it open and lets me know that the smell I smell is not his cologne it is in fact the smell of the bacteria that has been trapped in the cyst. I am so glad I did not eat breakfast because it would have been on the floor. After it was opened he had me apply pressure with some gauze and then, and here's where I discovered the cause of my one hour wait, he drew me a diagram of what causes a cyst, how it is removed, what will happen after this procedure and so on and so forth. I basically got an entire college anatomy lesson in 15 minutes. I can't really repeat anything he said because the entire time he was lecturing speaking I was thinking "This is why I've been waiting in that crappy waiting room?????" I wanted to hit him with the diagram, but decided not to for fear of whatever was leaking out my head splattering all over me.

Anyway, I'm hoping this lancing will take care of the problem. The only real big downside to this gaping wound in my head is that I probably shouldn't have my hair colored for 4-6 weeks. Not awesome, but if it means I don't have to sit through another "lesson" I'll do it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails