I had some asparagus in my fridge that I had to use, but couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with it. I did a quick search and stumbled upon this recipe for Pasta with Asparagus from Skinnytaste. Um, so good people, so good.
Here's what you need:
- 1 lb thin asparagus, cut into 2" pieces (tough ends trimmed)
- 6 oz uncooked pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Here's what to do:
- In a large pot boil 4 cups water with salt.
- When boiling, add asparagus and cook 3-5 minutes, until tender crisp.
- Drain asparagus in colander reserving 1 cup liquid before draining.
- Fill pot with salted water, cover and boil for pasta.
- When water boils cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook until golden, add asparagus, salt and pepper and sauté about 1-2 minutes, tossing with oil and garlic.
- In a small bowl combine egg yolk, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 1/4 cup reserved asparagus liquid, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- After pasta is drained return to pot and mix with egg mixture.
- Cook on medium-low about 2 minutes, until sauce thickens and sticks to pasta.
- Toss in asparagus and mix well.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- If pasta seems too dry add more reserved liquid a tablespoon at a time.
- Serve with additional grated cheese
This dish was so yummy! I actually doubled it so we could have leftovers and they were just as yummy!