Saturday, November 10, 2012

Somethings Gotta Give...


I received a text from my best friend, Dawn, this morning asking if I was meeting at her house or going straight to her shower. I told her I was just going to meet her there and then told her I was so excited for tomorrow. She asked what tomorrow was. My heart sank into my stomach and I realized in that very moment her shower is not tomorrow, it was in fact today. Best friend of the year I am not. 

In that moment the reality that I've been doing too much and, quite honestly,  at half the quality finally sank in. It has been quite an adjustment since I went back to work full time. I didn't ease into work, I went full steam ahead. I still run Multiples and More and am involved in other activities. Somethings gotta give. No, it's not Multiples and More, so all of my readers from there can breathe a sigh of relief.

I hate that it took me forgetting my friends shower to realize I'm being pulled in too many directions. I think as women we tend to feel like we have to be superwoman. We have to be able to have the career, have the family, have the house and have the social life. What we fail to realize is that the more we say "yes" to things the more we are saying "no" to something else. That something else is usually our family or our own time. We end up running ourselves into the ground and then really, what good are we? 

It's time to take a step back, take a deep breath, pull up my big girl pants and prioritize. After all, my cuties are only young for so long. I can't miss out on any more of these moments. 

1 comment:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

My hat is off to you for everything you do!

I'm glad you realized what day it was before you missed the shower completely! Ack!

And I hope you can step back and try to prioritize (or something!) a bit. Good luck as you figure it out...I know you will! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails