Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Monsters University Review

I was able to attend an advanced screening of Monsters University with Scott and the kiddos this week. The previews have been playing, almost on loop, on Disney Channel, so the kiddos were pumped to say the least! Here's a little background on the movie, just in case you have not watched the preview a hundred or so times....



Ever since college-bound Mike Wazowski (voice of Billy Crystal) was a little monster, he has dreamed of becoming a Scarer—and he knows better than anyone that the best Scarers come from Monsters University (MU). But during his first semester at MU, Mike’s plans are derailed when he crosses paths with hotshot James P. Sullivan, “Sulley” (voice of John Goodman), a natural-born Scarer. The pair’s out-of-control competitive spirit gets them both kicked out of the University’s elite Scare Program. To make matters worse, they realize they will have to work together, along with an odd bunch of misfit monsters, if they ever hope to make things right.


Before I even get into my review, I want to point something out that bothered me. The movie has Mike and Sulley meeting in college, however, in the original Monsters Inc. Mike mentions that he has known Sulley since the 4th grade. Oops. I was hoping they would explain that, but alas, they did not.

The movie itself is adorable and reminded me of Old School quite a few times. I think I would have died if a character was named Blue (You're my boy, Blue!), I really would have. We were able to view the film in 3D and while the kids may not have worn their glasses the whole time, I thought it was fantastic. I love watching the animated films in 3D, it just seems to add something magical to them.

The bigger picture message of working together and friendship definitely rang true throughout the film. All in all the kids thought Monsters University was "funny" and "silly".  Scott and I also really enjoyed it, especially the bonus scene after the credits!



For more on Monsters University you can:
Let me know if you go on June 21st to see Monsters University! I'd love to hear what you thought!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails