Monday, December 31, 2018

Parenting Corner: Leading By Example

The past few years I have been lucky enough to work somewhere that allows me to have the time between Christmas and New Years off to spend with my kiddos. Not only does it make it easy as far as childcare is concerned it also gives me and the kids a chance to have some time together, just the three of us. I always try to find things for us to do that are new and exciting. This year I added a volunteer aspect to our adventure. We would spend two days with the kids at the Central Florida Dreamplex Dream Academy Camp. 

The Central Florida Dreamplex is an amazing organization. They give children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities the opportunity to grow by meeting recreational, fitness, and social needs. I became aware of the organization a little more than two years ago through a friend that works there. I hold this organization very near and dear to my heart and if my schedule allows I jump at the chance to help out. I was thrilled the kids would be able to help this year with me. 

Now I also had my concerns going into two days at the camp. And let's be serious, what was I thinking signing up for two days not knowing how the kids would handle one!? I had a feeling my dude would be fine, but my little miss? She was another story. I knew they were both overwhelmed when we arrived. It is a lot to take in when you do not know what to expect. I was so pleased that they both settled in and by the end of our shift they were begging to come back the next day. 

I cannot even fully express the feeling I had when I looked over and saw a child sitting in my son's lap and the way he was speaking to him. It was so sweet, so tender, so caring. And my daughter? To see her running around with the kids in the gym and treating them like any other kid made me happy beyond belief. After two days, they both made the comment that the kids at the camp are just kids and should have the same opportunities as everyone else. I knew at that moment I made the right decision in bringing them there. Their eyes were opened and their hearts a little fuller. 

Now, I didn't write all of this as a humble brag. At the end of the day I simply want my kids to be caring human beings (read: I don't want to raise assholes). I want them to be the first to invite someone to sit with them. I want them to stand up for others. I want them to be the ally that someone may desperately need. The only way I can think to do that is to show them. At the camp, they became at ease once I was on the ground with the kids and had someone in my lap playing. We as parents need to show our kids what we want to see in the world. 

I am not the perfect parent by any means (literally the day after they did these amazing things one threw a shoe at the other and gave them a black eye...see it's all about balance), but it is my hope that maybe, just maybe I can get through to them and they will be the caring global citizens that I would like them to be. And who knows, maybe this will be their passion in life? 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails