Sunday, March 3, 2019

Senses that Last a Lifetime

The senses are a funny thing, aren't they? It's amazing how you can react to a certain smell, a sound, a picture, you get the idea. I've been overwhelmed lately because it's a crazy week that I'm walking, or more appropriately hopping, into. I started thinking about the sounds I remembered from this week, and the smells and it got me thinking about all the things I remember throughout my life.

Like the smell of Old Spice...my grandfather had a bottle in his bathroom and always smelled of it. It always reminds me of him, even to this day.

The smell of my grandmother's perfume. I don't know what it was, but if someone near me has it on I instantly stop and look.

The sound of people's laughter. My aunt had the best laugh. Her laugh could make you laugh even harder than you already were.

The sound of my son crying when we gave him quite possibly the most devastating news a 9-year-old boy could hear. That's a sound I would give anything to never hear again.

The clicking sound my daughter made when she had her seizure.

The sight of asphalt in my periphery when I flipped the car I was driving, followed closely by the sound of glass shattering.

My kids first cry when they were born. I remember holding my breath until I heard each cry.

The first time I saw my Dad cry.

The first time I saw Scott cry.

The smells that pour through the house when I make my mom's dressing.

The scent of my Mom's perfume.

The last time I saw someone's smile, the laugh that went with it, and the feeling of hitting their helmet before they ran back onto the field for the last time.

The senses are amazing and this week, I'm going to cling to all the memories that I can.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails