Saturday, August 14, 2010

Scotch Shortbread

I'm a huge shortbread fan, I love it. I could probably eat my body weight in shortbread every single day of the week, it is that good. As I was digging through my cookbooks I found this recipe in the Williams-Sonoma Cookies Cookbook.
Here's what you need:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' (icing) sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling (I used all natural cane sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

What to do:
  • Preheat your oven to 300 degrees
  • Have an ungreased 9 inch pan ready
  • In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, cream the butter until fluffy and pale yellow
  • Add the confectioners' sugar and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and continue beating until the mixture is no longer gritty
  • Beat in vanilla
  • Sift the flour and salt together into a bowl or onto wax paper
  • Gradually add the flour mixture and mix on low speed
  • Using floured fingertips, press the dough evenly into the pan
  • Sprinkle evenly with the 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • Bake the shortbread until the edges are golden (about 1 hour)
  • Remove the pan from the oven and immediately (using a think sharp knife) cut the shortbread into strips
  • Use either a toothpick or tines of a fork to decorate the shortbread with dots
  • Let the strips cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely
These were super delicious! I would honestly be shocked if they last the rest of the day. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I asked on twitter if you could share the recipe before I saw your link. I'm jenniejava on twitter.

Megan said...

I looooooooooove shortbread, so when I saw your post I knew I had to make this. I did and LOVED it. It was so easy and so so so good! Needless to say it's already gone. :-) Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails