Thursday, May 12, 2011

AMC Theaters Dine-In Theaters

Last night I was able to check out the new AMC Dine-In Theaters at AMC Downtown Disney 24. I will be honest, I was skeptical at first about the whole "dine-in" concept, I mean won't the food be expensive? Do I really want to eat something other than popcorn? What about having waiters running around, won't that be distracting? I'm happy to say my answers are no, yes and no. It was amazing!

The entire theater has been revamped and it literally screams fabulous. This is the new ticket counter (if you've ever been to this one, it's on the Planet Hollywood side):

In the lobby there is now MacGuffins bar which is perfect if you maybe arrived at the movie early or if you want to sit and chat (and not be out in the Florida heat) after the movie. I highly recommend the pomegranate martini, it's delicious and a great way to get your antioxidants for the day. Ok, maybe that last part was a stretch. And the price? The martini was around $8, which is about right for any bar/restaurant.

The theaters themselves are, to use my favorite word, awesome. The theaters are for ages 18 and up, unless the minor is accompanied by an adult. When we took the tour and saw the theater I'm pretty sure everyone let out a collective gasp.

The theater is split into 3 different sections with rows of 4. Each row has it's own table, call buttons, and dim lighting. The chairs are leather and to die for. The only thing missing when I sat down was my fleece blanket.

So how does this work? Well, when you purchase your tickets (which are only $2 more than a regular movie ticket) you are giving a reserved seat. You go to your seat and are almost immediately greeted by your server. Your server will then explain the entire Fork and Screen experience to you and will show you were your call button is. Then they will take your drink order and if you're ready your appetizer order. When we ordered our appetizers were out by the second or third preview.

The waiters pretty much only come when you need them to, that way they are not disruptive. About 60 minutes into the movie they will bring you the check and you are all set, it's that simple.

Now onto the food! We were able to sample an appetizer and an entree during our movie. Lani went with me and she had the double cheese batons for her appetizer and I had the Parmesan fries. We could have shared one, there was so much food! The batons are priced at $7.99 and the fries are $6.99. Both were amazing and seriously I want the recipe for the garlic basil aioli dip for the fries, it was out of this world. For our entree Lani had the fish and chips ($11.99) and I had the Bistro Chicken Mac and Cheese ($10.99). Let me tell you something right now, that Mac and Cheese alone is reason enough for me to go back. Plus, if you notice the prices are extremely comparable to a restaurant. So, essentially, you're killing two birds with one stone here and having your dinner with your movie. But if you still want your popcorn or candy, you can order that from your server as well. There are also desserts on the menu that all look amazing, but there was no way I could eat another bite after everything I had. Be sure to check out the entire menu here!

So what's my final verdict? I think I was just spoiled, rotten, and may never go back to a traditional theater ever again. The experience has all of the comforts of home, with a 5 star dining experience. Roger Ebert would give this two thumbs way up, I promise.

Still want more info? Check out this video for ABC World News about the Dine-In Theaters:


And you can always find more information, as well as locations, at http://amctheaters.com/dinein

Interested in winning free movies for a year? AMC Downtown Disney 24 is celebrating the grand opening of its Dine-In Theaters by hosting a Free Movies for a Year giveaway to the first 100 people in line on Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:30 a.m. The first 100 guests (must be at least 18 years of age, photo I.D. required) who come to the theater will win 24 tickets (two per month for 12 months) for free admission to AMC Downtown Disney 24 as well as 12 free appetizers (one per month for 12 months).

A HUGE thank you to the people that put this night together, it was amazing and I cannot wait to do it again!

Have any of you ever been to a Dine-In theater? Did you like it? If you haven't been, do you think this is something you'd try?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails