Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spicy-Sweet Linguine alla Vodka



My latest culinary obsession is Rocco DiSpirito. Not only is his food delicious, but he's really easy on the eyes. My sister and I joke that his latest cookbooks (Now Eat This!) are really just picture books with some recipes. Anyway, for What's Cookin' Wednesday I thought I would share his Spicy-Sweet Linguine alla Vodka, which for me was really Spaghetti alla Vodka since I didn't have linguine.

What you need:
  • 8 ounces whole wheat linguine (or spaghetti)
  • 1 1/2 cups of store bought low-fat marinara sauce
  • 1 large bottle fie-roasted red peppers (about 4 ounces) cut into thin strips (so I didn't use this I just used sweet red peppers and sauteed them real quick)
  • 1/4 cup 2% Greek Yogurt
  • 1 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 6 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (so yummy!)


What to do:
  • Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil
  • Add pasta and cook according to package
  • Bring the marinara sauce and red peppers to a simmer
  • Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, until it has slightly thickened.
  • Remove sauce from the heat
  • Put the yogurt in a small bowl and stir in about 1/2 cup of the warmed sauce into the yogurt until smooth (this prevents the yogurt from curdling in the sauce)
  • Whisk yogurt mixture into remaining sauce and keep the sauce off the heat
  • Drain pasta and slide it into a bowl
  • Add the sauce, basil and 1 teaspoon of the hot pepper sauce
  • Toss gently until the pasta is evenly coated
  • Season with salt and pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce if desired
  • Sprinkle with cheese and serve
I almost doubled this recipe so we could have leftovers and I am so glad I did. This is hands down my new favorite pasta. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Be sure to play along with What's Cookin' Wednesday at Life as We Know It

2 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

YUM!!! Thanks I am always looking for recipes.

Nicolette said...

This sounds and looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails