Saturday, April 21, 2012

Never Say Never

The other night I found myself deep in a conversation with a friend, that quite honestly started out as a simple question, and then there we were almost an hour later in a very deep talk. A year ago, I never would have thought that conversation would have happened. At one point in the conversation the phrase "never say never" came up. It's such a cliche, but it is the most honest statement one can ever make because you truly never know what you will do until you do it.

I started to look back over my life and think about all of the things I said I would 'never' do. I'm fairly certain I've done them all. I said I wouldn't get married until I was thirty, let alone have any kids until then. I turn 29 on Monday, so clearly that didn't stick.

I said I would 'never' be a stay at home mom. I was very career driven when I entered college back in 2001. I was bound and determined to be working for a big PR firm and making a name for myself in that field. I've been home with my kids for almost 4 years now and am just now looking to break into the PR field.

I 'never' thought I'd drop out of college with a semester left because I was so in love with a guy that I just had to leave. The fact that the university majorly screwed me over was all the incentive I needed at that point. 

I was 'never' going to be the mom that slummed around. I would be dressed in something cute with full hair and makeup at all times. It's 2 in the afternoon and I'm writing this in an old workout shirt and shorts with no makeup on. I also have officially dubbed Monday "yoga pants day".

There are so many things I've often said I'd never do, but over the years that notion has changed. How would I know if I'd never do something? Have I been in that situation before? No? Then how would I know?

Have you ever found yourself saying you'd never do something and then later doing that exact thing?

1 comment:

cat said...

Oh of course I have - we all say these parent related things and then we do them. Imeven admit to bribing my kids once in a while

Related Posts with Thumbnails