- 1 (10 oz.) box yellow cake mix ingredients needed to make cake (eggs, oil & water)
- 2 (3.4 oz.) packages instant banana pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 20 vanilla wafers, crushed
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions for a 9x13 cake.
- Once cake comes out of the oven, allow it to cool for just a couple of minutes.
- Then, with a wooden spoon handle or some other similarly-sized object, begin poking holes in the cake. You want the holes to be fairly big so that the pudding has plenty of room to get down in there. Be sure to poke right down to the bottom of the cake.
- In a bowl, prepare pudding.
- Whisk together instant pudding with 4 cups milk.
- Stir until all the lumps are gone.
- Let pudding sit for just about 2 minutes so it has just slightly begun to thicken but not fully set, it should still be easily pourable.
- Pour pudding over cake. Try to get it in all of the holes.
- Spread it all out and using the back of the spoon gently push pudding down into the holes.
- Put the cake into the fridge to set and cool.
- Once your cake has completely cooled, spread on whipped topping.
- If you haven't done so already, crush your vanilla wafers. I put mine in a ziploc bag and crushed them with a rolling pin. Leave some of the pieces big. It's nice to have a bit of a crunch when you eat the cake.
- Spread crushed wafers onto the top of the cake. You can either do this right before you serve it, or do it ahead of time. I did it ahead of time and didn't think they were mushy or anything.
Easy, right? For more pictures, check out The Country Cook. She also has a bunch of poke cake recipes on there.