Here's what you need:
1 lb. ground Italian sausage or ground beef, if you prefer
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart of tomatoes (or 2 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes)
1 15-oz. can red kidney beans (w/ liquid)
1 15-oz. can Great Northern Beans (w/ liquid)
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon thyme
½ lb. Ditalini pasta
What to do:
- Brown the meat in a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, saute for 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta and simmer for 1 hour, stirring often. At 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Drain the pasta and add to the pot of soup. Alternately you can just add the pasta to the soup and let it cook there.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
This is also a great soup recipe for the crock pot, just add the pasta at the end so it's not totally mushy. Hope you enjoy!