Monday, January 14, 2013

Chicken Jambalaya

I've been on a "hey let's try this" kick with my recipes and after posting a photo of this I was immediately asked for the recipe, so I had to share.

I love jambalaya thanks to my dear hubby, but let's face it, it's not the healthiest meal on the planet. This recipe is a lot healthier than most, plus, it's in the crock pot. Can you say win-win?

Chicken Jambalaya
From Fitness Magazine



You need:


  • 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
  • 16 ounce package frozen bell peppers and onions
  • 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained (I used Del Monte tomatoes with green chilis)
  • 8 ounce package jambalaya rice mix (I used Zatarains Reduced Sodium Jambalaya Mix)


What to do:

  • Cut chicken into 1/2-inch strips. 
  • Place frozen vegetables in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker and top with chicken strips and turkey sausage. 
  • Add water, undrained tomatoes, and seasoning packet from rice, if available. Zatarain's has the seasoning mixed in, so I just added it at the end. 
  • Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours (I did it on 8 hours and it was fine, I'd prefer to keep it around 6 though) or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. 
  • Stir in rice. 
  • Cover and cook about 45 minutes more (if using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting), or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. You will still have some liquid left, if you feel it's a lot use 2 boxes of rice next time or bump up to the family size box.
This seriously was delicious and I cannot wait to have the leftovers tomorrow. I hope all of you enjoy it as well!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails