Sunday, July 14, 2013

Why Eleanor Roosevelt Beats Selena Gomez Any Day of the Week.

My friend Drea shared a pretty awesome article with me the other day and it definitely made the creative juices start flowing. The article talks about the four newest female astronauts and how we all know nothing about them but idolize people like Britney Spears. It's a really good read, if you have a minute check it out.

Like I mentioned, the article made me sit back and think. It made me think about how I was raised. I was definitely raised to be an equal among men. My Dad always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be (expect for the president because that's a sh!t job, be his speech writer instead) and I could do it better than any man if I wanted to. I was taught to not dumb myself down (not that I always took that advice) and to just be the best I could be.

This is what I want to pass on to Jillian, but it's a difficult balance. It reminds me of that scene in Enchanted when Robert gives his daughter, Morgan, a book about famous women instead of the fairy tale book that she wanted. He then starts talking about Marie Curie and how she worked with radioactivity and ended up dying from it and the look on the daughter's face is priceless.

Let's face it, it's hard to get children excited about strong, inspirational and amazing women from history. However, it's something that we need to do. I would much rather Jillian look up to someone like Eleanor Roosevelt than Selena Gomez.  I want her to know that she can do anything she sets her mind to, even if that's press secretary to the president (I'm with my Dad on this one, be the person behind the president).

I also want Aaron to take a page from this and learn that his future wife is his equal. He should not feel intimidated if she makes more than he does and he should love and accept her for all that she is. I'm pretty lucky with Scott, he is not intimidated by my voice (and boy do I have one sometimes), he encourages me to speak up and go for my dreams.

I think we all need to inspire our daughters to be the next generation of strong women. Who's with me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daughter-less Chelsie certainly agrees!! I'm with you!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails