Sunday, November 10, 2013

MOM's Chili

We have a cold front coming through this week. Now, when I say cold front, I mean a Florida cold front which means it will be 60 during the day. Because of this, I decided to make my MOM's chili. This is one of my favorite recipes and is definitely one that has a lot of wiggle room. 

I'm adding my MOM's instructions in parentheses because this is how she told me the recipe. 

I make mine a little different than my MOM does. She uses either ground chuck or ground beef, I use turkey. You can make it either way.We do, however, make it gigantic soup pots, so this recipe is for the big pot. It freezes beautifully and makes a quick meal during the week.

Here's what you need:

3 lbs ground turkey
2 (you know, nice size) green peppers, chopped
2 (you know, nice size) onions, chopped
2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes (you know, those big cans)
6 lbs, no lie, chili beans
1 family size tomato soup
Chili powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Here's what you need to do:

Brown your turkey with the onion and green pepper.
Add your salt and pepper.
Add all of your canned items (tomatoes, tomato soup and beans)
Add your chili powder. Here's where I also make a change, I add some chipotle chili powder to this. It gives it just enough spice to make your nose run. 
Bring to a boil and simmer for a little while. Do your taste test here and see if you need to play with your spices.
Package it up and let it cool down. Then you can freeze.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails