Monday, April 13, 2015

Hippity Hoppity Easter's On It's Way...

Easter kind of snuck up on me this year. I wasn't really wasn't planning on us doing anything since Scott normally has to work, but surprisingly he had the day off.

We started our Easter celebration with Easter vigil on Saturday night. I really enjoy this mass, even though it tends to be long. There's something about sitting in total darkness and then coming into the light that really brings the message home.

The other perk of going to Easter vigil is that you can somewhat sleep in on Easter Sunday. I say somewhat because Aaron came piling in at 2:30 to let me know that the Easter bunny came. I politely told him to go back to bed. Jillian was next at 6:00 to tell me the same thing. I begged for another hour. It was granted.

The kiddos tore through their baskets and the discovered that eggs were hiding all around the house and in the front yard. They had a total blast looking for the eggs! Jillian even yelled (yes, yelled, not said) that it was the best Easter ever.

Now, I love chocolate bunnies as much as the next girl, but I really like to make sure that the kiddos receive the full message of Easter, so every year we make resurrection rolls for breakfast. It's the easiest no-fuss breakfast and it gives an interactive element to the story of Easter. All you need is some crescent rolls, marshmallows, cinnamon and sugar, and butter.

Here's what you do. Melt some butter and mix together some cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl. Unroll your dough and place on a cookie sheet. Grab your marshmallow (Jesus), dip it in the butter (oil), roll it in the cinnamon and sugar (spices) and then wrap your dough around the marshmallow (tomb). Bake according to the package and when they are done, the marshmallow is no longer in the dough (Jesus has risen). It's a great way to teach kids the story of Easter.

Since we already went to mass the night before, we were able to just hang out in the morning. Then I started on our yummy late lunch/early dinner. I made a super yummy ham with a Riesling and peach glaze, rosemary roasted potatoes, green beans and asparagus. Dessert was pumpkin pie (not very Easter, but it's Jill's favorite) with homemade whip cream.

I am not even kidding when I say that I watched my son put away some serious ham and potatoes and then 2 hours later asked what was for dinner.

We also Skyped with my parents, sister, niece and her boyfriend. I think that was the hardest I heard my kids laugh in a long time. My Dad was in rare form, too, which is alway awesome to see.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter as well and had a great time with family and friends. I know I am definitely thankful that this is the last big holiday for a while, not that I don't love making a huge feast and all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the resurrection rolls!! I need to remember that idea, thanks for sharing :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails