Sunday, October 9, 2016

A Hurricane You Say? Well, Alright, Alright, Alright.

What a week. I already had a crazy schedule for the week with work events, baseball games, basketball playoffs (say what?), and trying to find a way to squeeze training in there somehow. Then this happened...


Matthew, in fact, was not alright, alright, alright. One by one events began to cancel, then school, then work, then I basically kissed my husband goodbye and hunkered down with the kids. We went to bed on Thursday evening believing that we were going to wake up to a pretty serious storm. Thankfully, he shifted East and we would not feel the effects we originally thought. However, not knowing this, I woke up at 5 am because I'll be damned if I don't have a cup or five of coffee before this crap hits.

So I wake up (trying not to wake my bed bugs), get the dogs and let them out before the storm hits. Our one dog being the smart old girl that she is ran and peed at the same time. She is not about to get wet outside, I mean come on.  The other one...she ran to the back of the yard, ran from end to end and then power posed in the wind like this:



She lost her footing at some point and decided it was best to come inside.

The storm as a whole was thankfully uneventful. We had a few strong gusts and pretty consistent rain, but nothing major. The kiddos did an awesome job riding it out, but after two days of being in the house, it was time to go. Thankfully, the local ice cream place had a BOGO deal to help all of us escape cabin fever.

Training obviously took a hit during the storm. I did manage to get a quick run in on Thursday, but Friday was mainly spent on my bum watching the storm progress. I made up for it this weekend though.

Saturday, Michelle and I went for 6 miles on the trail and boy were there some down branches.


I would like to point out how hard the run was with the branches down and how creepy it was with practically zero light. What do you think Michelle brought up in the middle of the woods?

Killer clowns.



So that was fun. Thankfully our return trip through the woodlands was well lit and I was not as concerned about a clown jumping out at us. To add some spice to our run however, there were two dogs that probably got out from the storm. We definitely walked at that point.

Since I already knew I was behind on my training miles I met up with my MRTT ladies this morning and we went for 7 miles on one of the other trails. It again was at o-dark-thirty. Thank God for cell phone flashlights, am I right?


So all in all I got my miles in, survived a hurricane/tropical storm, and ate a ton of junk food. I am incredibly thankful the storm was not as bad as predicted for our side of town, but completely devastated by the damage it did in Haiti and the East coast of Florida. Praying relief gets to all effected soon. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails