Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup (aka Beer Cheese Soup)

I've been making this soup for a while now and it's one of those recipes that seems to get better and better each time I make it. I first had this soup at Le Cellier in EPCOT and have loved it since. I was so excited when I found it in the Delicious Disney Cookbook, and have since tweaked it to make it my own. This time I changed the stock and the beer that I used. Previously I was using Swanson Stock and Moosehead Beer. I swapped both of those out for Knorr's new concentrated homestyle chicken stock and Labatt Blue. I think changing these two items totally enhanced the flavors and made it hands down the best batch I've ever made. Between prepping your ingredients and cook time this recipe takes about an hour, and is so worth the wait!

Here are the ingredients that you need:


  • 1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces *Do not cheat on the bacon, it needs to be good bacon to get the right flavoring. Also, freeze it first so it's easier to slice.
  • 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces *Tip: Peel your celery, it adds so much flavor!
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups chicken stock *You need good stock for this recipe and hands down the Knorr concentrated chicken stock has been the best I've used, more on that later.

  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 pound grated white cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup warm beer *You can use any beer, but I recommend Labatt Blue
  • Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish

Preparations

In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Do not drain the fat.


While your bacon is cooking bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a boil and then add your Knorr concentrated chicken stock. Stir until dissolved and remove from heat.


Add the butter and let melt into the bacon, then add your red onion, and celery and sauté until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. In regards to the the size of your chop, I like mine a little more "rustic" if you will, but I've also taken my chopper to the onion and celery and had it really small which works well too.


Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat.

Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.


Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese...

Then stir in Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
Taste the soup and then re-season if necessary. I usually add a dash more of Tabasco and a pinch more of salt, but you should season to your taste.

Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.


Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives (optional).

I usually let this simmer for an additional 30 minutes to really let it soak in the flavor, but I've also had it right after it was ready. This is definitely one of those soups that is even better the next day.

I know a hot soup in the summer is not something you instantly think of, but on a stormy night, it's so good. Thank you again to BlogHer for introducing me to Knorr Chicken Stock, I'm fairly certain I will not be going back to any other stock after using this.

1 comment:

Souza Sisters said...

I LOVE this soup!! I will be making this soup this winter! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails