Friday, December 2, 2011

That time my engagement ring disappeared....

On Wednesday the kids and I were getting ready to go to Animal Kingdom since they had been asking to see the Lion King show since before we all got sick. The weather was perfect, it was going to be an amazing day.

As I was getting ready Jill started playing with my rings and as I was telling her to stop playing with them my engagement ring fell to the floor and then, no lie, vanished. I felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone or something. I shook out the rugs, I opened the cabinets and searched in there, I literally tore apart my bathroom and it was nowhere to be found. How could it just disappear?


Now Jill during this whole ordeal had one of those smug smirks on her face and I was nanoseconds from losing my patience. Then she says the ring was in her pants, as in underwear, and she had just gone to the bathroom...and flushed. I almost died. Then she said she put the ring in her mouth and now her tummy hurts. I contemplated shoving my finger down her throat, but stopped myself when she said it just fell on the floor.

Like any rational person I took to Facebook describing my dilemma. People asked if it was in the garbage can (negative, it's on the opposite side of the room), if it went down the drain (um it's entirely too big to fit down the drain, and yes I checked anyway) or smashed into a hairbrush (negative, I even checked my hairdryer for good measure). It had vanished and now I had to tell Scott. He appeared calm, or as calm as you can appear via text, but I know in reality he was thinking "She better find that effin' ring". I began to feel a tingly sensation in my head and I couldn't tell if it was my first gray hair popping through or the start of a stroke, either way it was not good. The eye twitch that followed did not help.

So after 2 hours of searching, 2 Advils for the tension headache I had acquired, and one gigantic piece of chocolate cake I ate as a distraction (and maybe as a comfort) I went back into the bathroom to look one last time before I called the looney bin to come take me away. As I was laying on the floor I noticed the baseboard of the cabinet was pulling away, which does not shock me since whoever built this house did it the cheapest way possible. Call it curiosity, call it insanity, potato, pah-tah-to, I began pulling back on the board and there it was, my ring behind the baseboard of the cabinet. How it got there I will never know and I have zero desire to find out if it could happen again.

I immediately sent a text to Scott telling him I found the ring. When he asked where I said "Well I pulled apart the baseboard of the cabinet and found it." I waited for the "How bad is the cabinet?" comment but instead I got a "Thank God you found it, I just said to my trainee she better find that effin' ring". I know him so well...

Jill and I had a chat after about how you need to listen to Mommy and I'm sure all she heard is "blah blah blah now we can go see Lion King". I hope she has twin girls just like her, I really do.

2 comments:

Jill said...

So glad you found it! What a stressful few hours that must've been.

The Lane Family said...

I am glad you found it and I am also glad to hear that I am not the only one who has twins that do EXACTLY what they want, when the want!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails