Here's what you need:
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (I used 2 no salt added and 1 fire roasted)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Here's what you need to do:
- In a large pot over medium-high heat melt your butter and add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Cook until the onion is translucent but continue to stir so you do not brown the garlic.
- Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continually so the flour does not brown.
- Add 1 cup of half-and-half and stir until mixture thickens, then add the second cup of half-and-half.
- When your base has thickened, stir in sugar, baking soda, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning.
- If you have an immersion blender, blend the mixture but leave some chunks. If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer to a standard blender and puree.
- Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
I also made grilled cheese with this using a hearty bread grilled on pure butter. Seriously, go big or go home.
If you have a chance, grab a copy of CopyKat.com's Dining Out at Home Cookbook 2. There are SO many great recipes in there including Cracker Barrels fried chicken and Chili's skillet queso (SO good!).