Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Homemade BBQ Baked Beans

On New Year's Day I made my BBQ pulled pork and really wanted to try my hand at some homemade BBQ baked beans to go with it. I found this recipe on Whole Foods website, and while it was yummy, I may need to play with it a little.



What you need:

3 slices nitrate-free bacon, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, more to taste
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 (15-ounce) cans white beans, such as navy, rinsed and drained or 6 cups cooked white beans
1 to 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
Salt and pepper to taste

What to do:

Preheat oven to 325°F. Cook bacon in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat until it starts to release its fat. Add olive oil and onions and cook until translucent and soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, sugar, molasses, chile powder, mustard and vinegar until well combined and cook for 1 minute. Add beans, broth, salt and pepper and stir gently to combine.

Cover skillet tightly with a lid or foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove lid, add more broth if needed to moisten beans and continue to bake, uncovered, until top is browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes more. Serve hot.

I actually did not put my skillet in the oven, mainly because I couldn't remember if it was oven safe. I put mine in a Pyrex baking dish and covered it.

Hope you like this!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails